mysterious “Your email is hosted by Gmail” note

Hannah Pascal

Hi docs group :)

In account settings under my email there’s a notice

Note: Your email is hosted by Gmail, so we will rewrite the From line for the copies of your group messages that we send back to you.

However the “learn more” link, or anything else I could find, explains *why* this is happening.
At the moment every email I send to a group triggers an immediate email back with the same content but from “hannah via groups.io” which I assume this note refers to.
Why is that? Is it some privacy setting that hides my true email? Why is it only for GMail? Is it a workaround for a GMail bug? Could I instead turn these echo emails off and avoid this rewrite issue altogether?

Thanks!