Re: Terminology for the Notifications Overhaul

Nina E

Thanks for the additional thoughts so far.

Shal >> We could, for example, enhance the description of Guidelines and Monthly, in the group Settings, to say that they are exceptions - that they are in fact Group Notices. They are already exceptional in having a scheduled send rather than being tied to an action.
In a similar vein, it might make sense to describe the rest of them also under Member Notices. They would be distinct in that they already exist, and in that by nature they don't allow for user control. <<

That sounds reasonable. Maybe we can also propose to Mark that he change the label of the Member Notices tab (under Admin > Settings) to just Notices, which would cover both. (A label of "Member and Group Notices" would be clear but unwieldy. :-) )

Shal >> So that's what I went with: Web/App, Group, and Email Notification: describing the method used in the act of delivery. Then Moderator, Member, and Group Notices: describing the target of the notice. <<

Makes sense.

Shal >> But I think we still need the distinction I made between the targets of the content; and we also need the distinction I made between the methods of delivery. <<

Agreed.

Shal >> I eventually backed away from the term "push", relegating it to "aka" status. I might go further and leave only the first of those references. My reason is that I didn't find it being used in browser or OS documentation, but I'll admit I only looked at the ones I use. <<

Firefox has help content about "Web Push notifications" but also uses just "notifications" in the popup that asks whether you want to allow notifications from a website. Other browsers I looked at (Edge on Windows and Chrome on Android) seem to use just "notifications." So I'll use the "aka push" approach in the Groups.io documentation.

Robert, Chris >> Would the term "Alert" be useful as an alternative to "Notification" in many cases? <<

I do like the brevity of "Alert," but "Notification" might be more familiar to people because it's the term that browsers/websites/apps (the ones I've looked at, at least) generally seem to use for this type of feature.