Using the app? #misc

Hi All,

Can you let me know if you are using the app on a regular basis? If not, are there any missing features preventing your using it? I'm trying to gauge how close to release it is.

Thanks,
Mark

Martyn Bell

Edited

For me it's my primary source. So 20+ times per day.
Seems to be fairly stable now.

Two things I do after an update are:
- Change the notification sound from the android default.
- Disable battery optimisation. Otherwise it can be quite delayed in giving notifications.

Sometimes even with this I get the email several minutes before the app notifies me but most of the time the app is first.

Martyn Bell

Colin <colinashley306@...>

Hi Mark,. I only installed the app yesterday, but am now using it in place of the website. So far it has worked very well.

Thanks and regards,
Colin

Sent from my Mobile.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, 18:26 Mark Fletcher, <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Can you let me know if you are using the app on a regular basis? If not, are there any missing features preventing your using it? I'm trying to gauge how close to release it is.

Thanks,
Mark

Scott Logan

I am using it, primarily for moderating my groups (approving memberships and messages). Anything more elaborate and use the web interface and handle sending/receiving via email.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: app@beta.groups.io <app@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 12:27 PM
To: app@beta.groups.io
Subject: [app] Using the app? #misc

Hi All,

Can you let me know if you are using the app on a regular basis? If not,
are there any missing features preventing your using it? I'm trying to
gauge how close to release it is.

Thanks,
Mark

Hank Seamon

Mark,

I use the app regularly during the day to check messages.  But if I have members to enroll I use my PC.
App does all that I need and I do see there is more I could do it I choose.

Martyn Bell

Edited

My only reason for not using the app at any point is 100% down to the keyboard on my phone / tablet being small.
Other than that it's the app for me.
Word documents don't open with the app ( just open as gobbledygook) and I presume other file types. I'll try a few different ones later.
UPDATE, yes other file types give the "There was a network error - reload" message

Note the phone version and the tablet version have different interfaces slightly but that could be the android version.
My phone is a one plus 6 on Android 10.4 and my tablet is an Acer on Android 7

Martyn Bell

On Wed Jun 23 2021 18:26:35, Mark Fletcher arranged some pixels to say…

I’m using it fairly regularly and it’s much better than using a browser on my phone, for sure. Most of my groups deliver via email too, so that tends to be the primary means for me to view messages currently (knowing the app is still in beta), but I like using the app.

One thing that I would quite like (but appreciate it may not be a ‘want’ for others), is for the opportunity to select some text in a post, hit ‘reply’ and have that text quoted at the top of my reply, with attribution (like in an email). I understand that using the app formats the threads differently, (and it is clear within the app itself) but for people that still use email as their primary means of interacting, it might be better for their experience of posts/replies made from within the app (?)

Many thanks for all the work done so far, Mark.

kind regards

Nick
___

dUNMUR | member of the AOP

Derek Milliner

I'm using it probably on a daily basis, mainly for checking on new messages & basic admin tasks (member approval etc.). It's pretty usable now things like the drag down to refresh & the back button have been implemented. Can't see it as being my primary tool for adding/replying to topics, partly because I'm not a great 'phone typist, partly because even the S20 screen is physically a bit too small and partly (mainly?) because topics in our group generally involve referring to & copy/pasting reference materials sat on my PC. But still good for short messages :-)

For my use case it's pretty close to a release.

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 06:26 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Can you let me know if you are using the app on a regular basis? If not, are there any missing features preventing your using it?
I'm using the app most of the time rather than the mobile site. There are some significant differences between the app and desktop though in the controls available when editing a pending message:

The desktop UI provides controls to select different headers, fonts, special characters, undo, redo, preview and source code.  Is there a specific reason why these cannot be available in the app (and mobile site)?   When I add a Moderator note to the bottom of someone's message, I like to do that in the Courier font so it stands outs from the rest of the text.  I will generally just claim a message via the app and then wait until I can access the desktop UI to add a note.

The lack of any option to increase the text size means that I still revert to the mobile site via a browser on my phone on occasions so I can use the zoom feature. There's not a lot of space, for example, between the Ban Sender and Approve & Unmoderate Sender options on the More button when editing a pending message and I want to make sure I hit the right option.

Regards
Andy

Linda Liao

I definitely use it every day to check on new messages. I do prefer to respond to some messages from my laptop instead but I like having the ability to quickly respond on the app.