Testing back button #release

Hello,

There is a new release of the app, Build 99. Your app should automatically update to this build. It enables a new back button arrow in the navbar. For this initial release, I've enabled the back button when viewing a topic and an individual message. These pages correspond to /topic and /message URLs on the website. When you visit one of these pages, the Groups.io logo will be replaced by a left arrow in the navbar.

Please let me know what you think and if you see any issues. Also, please let me know where else the back arrow should appear.

Martyn Bell

Mines updated to build 99 but no back arrow, likely it'll appear tomorrow as it seems updates take several hours to cross the Atlantic. Assuming it should be on this screen.
Martyn

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 08:08 PM, Martyn Bell wrote:
Mines updated to build 99 but no back arrow,
Same here and I found another issue which I will raise separately.

Regards
Andy

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 12:08 PM Martyn Bell <martyn@...> wrote:
Mines updated to build 99 but no back arrow, likely it'll appear tomorrow as it seems updates take several hours to cross the Atlantic. Assuming it should be on this screen.

 Huh. I'm a bit baffled; I can't reproduce this. The only thing I can think of is that you're not logged in, or you're not in the app. Could either of those be the case?

Pete Cook

I have it. It takes me back to the beginning of the message list when I tap it.

pete

Pete Cook

Ok, wait a minute - in my last email I got to the topic from the app equivalent of groups.io/topics (I don't know how else to phrase it so I hope you know what I mean). When I go to the topic from the individual group message list, that arrow doesn't show up.

Pete Cook

Sorry, ignore my message #746. I must have been zoomed out or something. I do have the back button in both cases.

Pete

Pete Cook

I do want to add, though - it would be great for the button to take me back to the place where I was in the message or topics list rather than the beginning of it.

Thomas Gruber

Hi Mark,
I just tried the following:
Open a topic - back button appears as expected
Tap on „Topic properties“ - works
Tap on „Cancel“ - goes back to the message list
Tap back button - goes back to „Topic properties“ - surprise!

I understand why this happens, but it should’ve really do that I believe. I think it should go back to where I originally came from.

Thomas

Am 24.02.2022 um 21:02 schrieb Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>:

Hello,

There is a new release of the app, Build 99. Your app should automatically update to this build. It enables a new back button arrow in the navbar. For this initial release, I've enabled the back button when viewing a topic and an individual message. These pages correspond to /topic and /message URLs on the website. When you visit one of these pages, the Groups.io logo will be replaced by a left arrow in the navbar.

Please let me know what you think and if you see any issues. Also, please let me know where else the back arrow should appear.

Martyn Bell

Hmm, was definitely the app and definitely logged in, but as I said and this happens every time, changes you make only happen overnight (for me in GMT) but it had updated to build 99 both on my phone and tablet, last night neither showed the back arrow now this morning both do show it.
Two different devices my phone is a one plus and my tablet is an ACER which is a lot older version of Android.
This same thing has occurred with all previous updates. Maybe the google.co.uk servers are behind the .com servers ?
Martyn

Thomas Gruber

Hi Martyn,

I just opened the app on my OnePlus 6 - it‘s on version 99, and the back button appears when I open a single message from a message list, as expected. This is the first time I open the app after Mark‘s message about the 99 upgrade, I previously opened it on my iPad only, which also had V99 with back button immediately.
Thomas

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 08:02 AM, Thomas Gruber wrote:
Tap back button - goes back to „Topic properties“ - surprise!

I am seeing the back arrow now in the Groups.io title bar and can reproduce this.  If you follow the same steps but use the standard android back button, you get the same thing so the Groups.io back arrow is mirroring that. To that end, I'm not quite sure what advantage the Groups.io back arrow brings.

Regards
Andy

Martyn Bell

Hi Thomas,
Yes mine does now but very shortly after Mark released the update it wasn't there even though it was now on build 99, it seems it takes a few hours (not sure as I'm in bed ) but next morning it always works.
I'd understand if it was just one device but both react the same.
Bizzare really but I'm used to just trying it next day so no Biggie.
Regards
Martyn

Thomas Gruber

Hi Andy,
agreed for Android. But on iOS there‘s no back arrow so there it helps.
 Thomas

KWKloeber

left arrow seems to work fine, it appears to work as a true previous location, not up one level

Location is ok but dislike losing the jump-direct-to-feed Groups icon/button.

Unsure of it’s increase in functionality - as it would seem that the breadcrumbs already provide that function (I’d think anyway)?

If it is kept, it would be nice to incorporate it across the board (eg, backing up from Files; files folder, sub folder; images.)