Cannot open files - error message #bug #iOS

Peter Cook

Any time I try to open a file (usually .docx) I get this error. I’ve tried opening several files across several groups with the same result.

pete

Peter Cook

And - the photo apparently didn't attach when I sent this from the app. Here's the screenshot.

Martyn Bell

Same on Android, you either get network error or just a icon in the corner and it locks the app. You have to close and re open.
That's with calendar invites .ICS, docx & .pdf
I haven't tried any others.
Martyn Bell

Bob Bellizzi

Edited

Sorry, I thought I was on the Beta main and posting this.
This is not a bug.  It may be an issue for you but it's the way groups.io has always been

Since I keep our files on Dropbox I was happy that Mark added Dropbox ability and supply now I simply put a Dropbox link up instead that Dropbox supplies the viewing smarts.

To the best of my recollection, Mark has never supplied viewing capability for files.
When I just tested w/docx small file, the system wanted to download the file.
And it did the same thing with a pdf file just now.

But any Dropbox link provides a reader.

--
Bob Bellizzi
Messin' with Android version

RCardona

I admin for a genealogy group which utilizes a lot of documents, predominantly PDF.   When using the website, all PDF documents can be opened to a viewer, which is great.  Other file formats such as .docx or .xlsx will simply download instead.  I've been slowly replacing other formats all to PDF so viewing is possible from the website.

However, as mentioned earlier, there is NO document viewing or downloading capacity in the iOS app!!    It would be monstrously helpful to have the same PDF viewing ability on the app as there is on the website.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 12:25 AM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
To the best of my recollection, Mark has never supplied viewing capability for files.

The issue is the fact that when you try and access a file, you get the Network Error message.  I'm not fussed about Groups.io providing viewing capabilities for different file types. I just need the files downloading so I can choose how to open them - just as I can do with the mobile website.  Having pushed my group members towards the app, I'm now getting multiple complaints about this network error on both iOS and Android platforms.

Andy

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 1:46 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
The issue is the fact that when you try and access a file, you get the Network Error message.  I'm not fussed about Groups.io providing viewing capabilities for different file types. I just need the files downloading so I can choose how to open them - just as I can do with the mobile website.  Having pushed my group members towards the app, I'm now getting multiple complaints about this network error on both iOS and Android platforms.

I've just pushed a fix for this. I'm not sure if it's the final fix, but it at least should get rid of the network error and let you view the file. To go back you'll need to swipe right from off the left side of the page.

Please let me know if this works for you.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 06:55 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just pushed a fix for this. I'm not sure if it's the final fix, but it at least should get rid of the network error and let you view the file. To go back you'll need to swipe right from off the left side of the page.

I'm not seeing the network error message any more but I just get a blank white screen when I try and access file type docx, xlsx, pdf & zip.  When I try a json file, I see the text and can scroll up and down the contents. In all cases, I need to use the back button to get back to the files list as swiping right has no effect.  I'm running build 40 on a Galaxy S7 edge.

Andy

RCardona

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 01:55 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just pushed a fix for this. I'm not sure if it's the final fix, but it at least should get rid of the network error and let you view the file. To go back you'll need to swipe right from off the left side of the page.

Please let me know if this works for you.

I'm using the iOS app.  When I click on a pdf file, it opens to the first page, but unable to scroll/view the remaining part of the document, nor am I able to zoom/resize.  DOC and XLSX documents only show a blank white screen.  The swipe right works to go back.

Robert

Peter Cook

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 01:55 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just pushed a fix for this.
Mark, are you referring to the beta version or the app store version?

Pete

Duane

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
Mark, are you referring to the beta version or the app store version?
According to his comment a few days ago, they should both update at the same time unless it's something specifically for testing, https://beta.groups.io/g/app/message/655

Duane

Peter Cook

I ask because it doesn't look like the app store version has changed in the last couple of days.

Pete

Peter Cook

(PS. The version on my iPhone, which is from the app store, is 1.0.)

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 07:17 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
I ask because it doesn't look like the app store version has changed in the last couple of days.
you should be able to see the build number and not all fixes on Groups.io will involve a change to the app:

Andy

Peter Cook

Thanks, Andy. It's Build 40.

Pete

Hi All,

Some bugs I can fix by changing code on the website. Those don't require updates to the app and are quick to do. Other bugs do require an update to the app. I tried one fix yesterday, on the website, and that obviously didn't work. I think I will need to update the app to fix this bug. That will unfortunately take more time (and effort). I am working on it now, but I don't expect a fix until some time next week. I'll keep you posted.