Text formatting issues x 4 #bug

When typing text, I feel the text window should auto-scroll as you reach the bottom of the screen real estate. Currently it does not and you have manually scroll the text box up to see what you’re typing. Additionally, clicking in the text to place the cursor does not automatically centre the cursor in the viewable screen space - one has to manually scroll again to find it.

Secondly, I cannot add a number at the beginning of a paragraph without that para being auto-formatted into a numbered list with indents. I may or may not want that to happen - but there is no way seemingly of controlling that at the mo.

There is no auto-capitalisation of the first letter of a new para or sentence. This seems incorrect as pretty much every other means of text entry on a phone/device keyboard would do this (?).

Lastly, a single line space in between paragraphs (as I’ve done here) results in much bigger gaps in the final visible post after it’s sent.

iPhone XS iOS 13.3

App 1.1.3 r163

just to say that the text formatting issues persist. See my original post.

• No auto-scroll of text input box as one types.

• No auto-capitalisation of first letter of a new word on a new line/new paragraph. (Note: it DOES auto-capitalise after a full-stop (period)).

• Single line space in text input box translates into three of four line gaps in posted message. (See attached screenshot).

• WYSIWYG editing icons are not pinned to top of text box - they disappear up behind the screen divide.

• Imho, there is arguably too much choice of edit tools, or perhaps some of them could be hidden in an ‘advanced’ or ‘extras’ menu?

• Once a certain amount of text has been inputted, it’s near-impossible to get back to the text editor tools, because there are hidden screen dividers that allow finger scrolling only in certain places.

• The bullets/numbers list still takes over if one simply starts a sentence with “1.” It’s impossible to switch it off

best, Nick

iPhone XS, iOS 13.3.1. app 1.3.2 (rev. 183)

Bob Schrempp

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM, Nick Dunmur wrote:

just to say that the text formatting issues persist. See my original post.

• No auto-scroll of text input box as one types.

• No auto-capitalisation of first letter of a new word on a new line/new paragraph. (Note: it DOES auto-capitalise after a full-stop (period)).

This is a standard IOS function, I would not change it. In iOS it auot capitalizes the first letter in a new sentence. This is the way iOS works.

• Single line space in text input box translates into three of four line gaps in posted message. (See attached screenshot).

NO it does not, it is one space, the space is just bigger than you want. It is a full paragraph and it is the way it should be. If there is too much white space, that should be adjusted, not the code that is entered with a new paragraph.

• WYSIWYG editing icons are not pinned to top of text box - they disappear up behind the screen divide.

• Imho, there is arguably too much choice of edit tools, or perhaps some of them could be hidden in an ‘advanced’ or ‘extras’ menu?

I do not have the app yet, but from your message it sounds like it is the standard iOS tools. We should not change away from that standard set of editing tools.

• Once a certain amount of text has been inputted, it’s near-impossible to get back to the text editor tools, because there are hidden screen dividers that allow finger scrolling only in certain places.

• The bullets/numbers list still takes over if one simply starts a sentence with “1.” It’s impossible to switch it off

This is a feature in iOS, DO NOT CHANGE IT. If you do not want a numbered list, you can change the formatting after it does it.

best, Nick

iPhone XS, iOS 13.3.1. app 1.3.2 (rev. 183)

We should not change the default way iOS works when editing. Double space adds a period to end the previous sentence and capitalizes the next letter as the start of a new sentence.

iOS will auto bullet or number list for you. This is a feature not a bug.

When you press <enter> it ends the paragraph and starts a new one. There is white space between paragraphs, I agree it appears there is too much white space, the formatting for white space between paragraphs should be changed. The code entered when you press <enter> should not be changed.

Bob

On 17 Feb 2020, at 16:24, Bob Schrempp <bschrempp@...> wrote:

I do not have the app yet

Are you for real?!

kind regards

Nick
___

dUNMUR | member of the AOP

Bob Schrempp

Yes.

Are you an Apple iOS user?

This is the way the Apple has designed the input on the iOS. You should learn how it works. It is very frustrating when an App breaks the standard input that Apple has designed. They do not make these settings lightly, they research them and know what they are doing, we should use their design so this app works like a standard Apple iOS App.

Bob Schrempp

You actually quoted part of my original post which included the model of iPhone I have, the iOS it runs. I’m very well aware of how the iOS works and suggest before you comment you download the app and use it.

___
dUNMUR | Photographer

On 17 Feb 2020, at 19:52, Bob Schrempp <bschrempp@...> wrote:

Are you an Apple iOS user?

Bob Schrempp

I have asked how to download the app, I want to. I have installed the Test Flight program, but it asks for a code to install a program. I have not been able to find the code.

Point me to the directions to install the app.

Bob

Bob Schrempp
bschrempp@...

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM Bob Schrempp <bschrempp@...> wrote:

This is the way the Apple has designed the input on the iOS. You should learn how it works.

I think it is counterproductive, and also not very nice, to say things like "You should learn how it works." Also, I think Nick is quite aware of how iOS apps work. His feedback was constructive and entirely appropriate. Please behave better or I will have to moderate you.

Mark

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Bob Schrempp <bschrempp@...> wrote:

I have asked how to download the app, I want to. I have installed the Test Flight program, but it asks for a code to install a program. I have not been able to find the code.

Bob Schrempp

Yes and I installed TestFlight. When I run TestFlight is does not have any apps and there is a Redeem link that asks for a code.

I got it, I was not following the link via my phone, you need to open the link on the phone to get to the app installer. I was reading the instructions on my computer and trying to do the install on the phone.

Bob

Bob Schrempp
bschrempp@...
On 2/17/2020 3:11 PM, Mark Fletcher via Groups.Io wrote:

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Bob Schrempp <bschrempp@...> wrote:

I have asked how to download the app, I want to. I have installed the Test Flight program, but it asks for a code to install a program. I have not been able to find the code.

_._,_._,

_._,_._,_

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM, Nick Dunmur wrote:

• WYSIWYG editing icons are not pinned to top of text box - they disappear up behind the screen divide.

I'm not sure I understand this one. Can you send a screen shot?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

If I type a bunch of text into a reply and I scroll the text box up to follow where the cursor is, the formatting toolbar disappears and can be difficult to get back to, particularly with a lengthy reply. See screenshot of this reply at the point of the last sentence end.

best, Nick

PS. I still only get the option of a square crop of an image (unless it’s a horizontal format image).

Roger Colwell

Hi Nick,

just a thought, your snapshot seems to show you’re using an enlarged Text Size setting. As a reference, in iOS Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size, the bargraph is on the first notch above minimum (and here’s a snapshot of my Text Editor screen whilst typing this, to show it’s a significant difference in scaling compared to yours):

i’m experiencing the following:

  • after <br> (i.e. CR/LF) I’m getting no automatic leading capital (as you can see in this message);
  • likewise in this bullet list, no leading capital;
  • i’m not suffering from the toolbar scrolling off-screen such that I cannot get it back;
  • i also get the fixed square crop of an image insertion.

so my question is, do you experience this difficulty if you reduce Text Size?

--

Roger Colwell

iPhone 8 Plus 256GB / iOS 13.3.1

iPad Air 2 64GB / iPadOS 13.3.1

Hi Roger,

I’ve just reduced the Text Size to the same as yours. It was only two notches higher than minimum anyway. I still see the text editor tools laid out in the same arrangement. (2 rows, 11 icons on top row, 4 on bottom) and suspect this because the phone screen size may be dictating that layout (iPhone Xs - NOT Max). All other issues remain the same.

Best, Nick

iPhone Xs, iOS 13.3.1

Bob Schrempp

As a test I ran my text size to max and it did not change the tool bar or the text size in compose. It did change text size in the from field and the suggested words.

back to normal text size, two above the bottom

Bob Schrempp