Topics

Planning to start a groups.io group - question about API access

Monica

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hi there everyone

We are looking to start a group and are checking out all the features. Having an API so we can easily download the content of the group is an excellent feature that we are excited about. However, it is important to us that only the members of the group have access to the content and to this feature.

Can someone confirm that the group members can use the API for the group content, rather than say anyone with a groups.io account?

Thanks a lot

Monica

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 5:55 PM Monica <monica.barratt@...> wrote:

We are looking to start a group and are checking out all the features. Having an API so we can easily download the content of the group is an excellent feature that we are excited about. However, it is important to us that only the members of the group have access to the content and to this feature.

Can someone confirm that the group members can use the API for the group content, rather than say anyone with a groups.io account?

Access to the API follows the same permissions structure as the website. If someone can access a feature on the website, they can access it through the API. If they can't access the feature on the website, they can't access it via the API.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Monica

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Thanks Mark.

Just to confirm:

If we set the group discussion to be only visible to group members, then only group members can access this content by the API?

Apologies if this is a newbie question: What setting options are available in the software to enact visibility to a closed group? E.g. is there a setting something like ‘content access [select group members only]’

We are still deciding whether this platform is suitable for our group, and so haven’t been able to access what it looks like to be an admin and the associated group settings yet.

Thanks for your help

Monica

We are looking to start a group and are checking out all the features. Having an API so we can easily download the content of the group is an excellent feature that we are excited about. However, it is important to us that only the members of the group have access to the content and to this feature.

Can someone confirm that the group members can use the API for the group content, rather than say anyone with a groups.io account?

Access to the API follows the same permissions structure as the website. If someone can access a feature on the website, they can access it through the API. If they can't access the feature on the website, they can't access it via the API.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Duane

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:38 PM, Monica wrote:

If we set the group discussion to be only visible to group members, then only group members can access this content by the API?

Yes, but I don't think you really need to use the API, especially for regular members.  There's a setting within the group that you can use to "Allow Members To Download Archive."  Owners (and moderators with permission) can export everything related to the group using the "Export Group Data" button on the settings page.  There's not a setting to limit what each member has access to.

Apologies if this is a newbie question: What setting options are available in the software to enact visibility to a closed group?

You, or the person responsible for setting it up, should take a look at the documentation , https://groups.io/api

Duane

Monica

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Thanks a lot, Duane. It is helpful to know about the “Allow members to download archive” and “export group data” options. Yes, it may be we don’t need the API if these are already built in. (I did go first to https://groups.io/api but didn’t find what I was looking for!)

Cheers

Monica

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:55 PM, Monica wrote:
Yes, it may be we don’t need the API if these are already built in.
It sounds like your first stop should be https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual and https://groups.io/helpcenter/gettingstarted  After giving those a good going over, I'd create a group, opting for the Premium trial to test as many things as possible, then grab some 'volunteers' to help figure it out.  At some point, you'll also need to read https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual to see what members can and cannot do.  Many of us create a second, non-mod/owner account to use when members have questions, so we can give them step-by-step help.

Duane