Topics

Interacting with groups using the group name instead of the identifier

Isaac Whitfield <iw@...>

In our use case, users will interact with groups directly using the group name - we don't want to store a group identifier mapped to each group name, so it would be nice if we could use the group name on the API (since it should be unique?). Is there any intent to make this possible? If not, could we add a new API which will lookup the group identifier for a group name as a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
Isaac

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Isaac Whitfield <iw@...> wrote:
In our use case, users will interact with groups directly using the group name - we don't want to store a group identifier mapped to each group name, so it would be nice if we could use the group name on the API (since it should be unique?). Is there any intent to make this possible? If not, could we add a new API which will lookup the group identifier for a group name as a workaround?

Hmm, yes that does seem to be a missing bit. I will modify the /getgroup endpoint to take either a group_id or a group_name.  For adding that to all calls, what do you anticipate your work flow to be?