Topics

Feedback 2017-08-12

James Milligan

Just a few things I've picked up this evening:

API errors
https://groups.io/static/api#get-topics consistently getting BAD_REQUEST with this one despite a valid group_id set (https://api.groups.io/v1/gettopics?group_id=1405) that the calling user has access to (as an owner). Originally thought it might be because of 0 topics/messages, but even after adding a couple of messages to the group I'm still getting the same response (repro'd with Postman to skip the Java client).

Docs
(Generally) example schemas don't always tally with response attribute listings, mostly just a case of some missing fields. I'm using the schemas to generate POJOs which means I'm sometimes missing a couple of attributes.
(Generally) some required tags missing orange label formatting
(Suggestion) displaying requirements for calls in a consistent way - permissions, plan levels, and required params.
https://groups.io/static/api#get-member is missing mandatory group_id param in example request
https://groups.io/static/api#the-user-object missing comma after time_pref value (invalid JSON)
https://groups.io/static/api#get-topics typo in is_closed attribute name (response attributes)

--
Kind regards,

James Milligan
Need to integrate with the Groups.io API in Java? Check out the Groups.io API Java client

Hi James,

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:41 PM, James Milligan <james@...> wrote:
Just a few things I've picked up this evening:

API errors
https://groups.io/static/api#get-topics consistently getting BAD_REQUEST with this one despite a valid group_id set (https://api.groups.io/v1/gettopics?group_id=1405) that the calling user has access to (as an owner). Originally thought it might be because of 0 topics/messages, but even after adding a couple of messages to the group I'm still getting the same response (repro'd with Postman to skip the Java client).

Sorry about that. That endpoint should be considered not implemented right now (and the docs are wrong). I've just added the 'NI' in the docs for that.

Docs
(Generally) example schemas don't always tally with response attribute listings, mostly just a case of some missing fields. I'm using the schemas to generate POJOs which means I'm sometimes missing a couple of attributes.

Good catch. I will update the examples on Monday.

(Generally) some required tags missing orange label formatting

I see that in the get topics endpoint, which I'll fix next week. Please let me know if you see them anywhere else.

(Suggestion) displaying requirements for calls in a consistent way - permissions, plan levels, and required params.
https://groups.io/static/api#get-member is missing mandatory group_id param in example request
https://groups.io/static/api#the-user-object missing comma after time_pref value (invalid JSON)

These are fixed.

James Milligan

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 04:18 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi James,

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:41 PM, James Milligan <james@...> wrote:
Just a few things I've picked up this evening:

API errors
https://groups.io/static/api#get-topics consistently getting BAD_REQUEST with this one despite a valid group_id set (https://api.groups.io/v1/gettopics?group_id=1405) that the calling user has access to (as an owner). Originally thought it might be because of 0 topics/messages, but even after adding a couple of messages to the group I'm still getting the same response (repro'd with Postman to skip the Java client).
Sorry about that. That endpoint should be considered not implemented right now (and the docs are wrong). I've just added the 'NI' in the docs for that.

Ah, that'll explain it :) I'll stick an exception in that for now and just comment out the code temporarily.

Docs
(Generally) example schemas don't always tally with response attribute listings, mostly just a case of some missing fields. I'm using the schemas to generate POJOs which means I'm sometimes missing a couple of attributes.

Good catch. I will update the examples on Monday.

(Generally) some required tags missing orange label formatting

I see that in the get topics endpoint, which I'll fix next week. Please let me know if you see them anywhere else.
Great, thanks on both. I think that's the only one actually.

(Suggestion) displaying requirements for calls in a consistent way - permissions, plan levels, and required params.
https://groups.io/static/api#get-member is missing mandatory group_id param in example request
https://groups.io/static/api#the-user-object missing comma after time_pref value (invalid JSON)
These are fixed.
Thanks - although the get member group ID in the request (2) differs to that of the response (5).

Cheers for the speedy updates!