Topics

authentication question

ajomccauley@...

Hi!  I've decided to move this question to its own topic :)

Do y'all use your own email/password combos for this stuff (and then figure out securing the info depending on your server/software situation, so it isn't just, in your code)?  I'd love to know if that's the norm, b/c right now I feel like I've *got* to be missing something, but maybe I'm not...

Thank you!
-Alison

Eric di Domenico

I am migrating from Yahoo so I created a special user to use for this.

I guess it depends on what your application is going to do.

ajomccauley@...

Thank you so much, Eric!

I'm especially interested in what folks might do if they use the API in an "ongoing" way, like a custom signup form -- so they'd need to re-authenticate pretty regularly (so I'm trying to imagine where/how ppl might use their login creds in code in a secure way).

Thanks again!

Eric di Domenico

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM, <ajomccauley@...> wrote:
I'm especially interested in what folks might do if they use the API in an "ongoing" way, like a custom signup for
It would be nice if the API offered an OAuth option because handling user passwords on a sever sucks. This only works if you make a client app, and even then why trust 3rd parties apps with your user's passwords.

As far as ongoing use, someone in our group is thinking about organizing information from various sources on the same topic. I am thinking about backup and archiving. Still all server-side things that would be done with a single user