Date   

Re: A few basic Qs from a non-programmer #misc

David Mazur-Goulet
 

Thanks, Derek, for the clear answer to my questions. This can open up a world of possibilities for us.


On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 3:37 PM Derek Milliner <derek.milliner@...> wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 02:16 PM, David Mazur-Goulet wrote:

Can we have two or three different applications interface with groups.io? Is it technically possible with the API?

Short answer; yes. Slightly longer answer, the API requires a valid login so an application will need to make the appropriate login calls and store/provide the resulting login token, but each login is distinct. You could if you wanted provide different login accounts for each application if you wanted to apply different permissions. A distinct login counts as a member, this may be an issue with the basic accounts for instance.

Is it possible to sync the directory of a subgroup with another application using the API?

If you mean as in extract the member directory of a subgroup, again yes, this would use the getmemberdirectory API call. Note that exactly what you can do through the API is controlled mainly by the permissions granted to the account you use for the API login, (in this case the "view_member_directory" permission), hence the comment above vis. different per-app accounts. Not all functionality is exposed through the API as yet; the reference docs can be found here: https://groups.io/api

Cheers

Derek


Re: A few basic Qs from a non-programmer #misc

Derek Milliner
 

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 02:16 PM, David Mazur-Goulet wrote:

Can we have two or three different applications interface with groups.io? Is it technically possible with the API?

Short answer; yes. Slightly longer answer, the API requires a valid login so an application will need to make the appropriate login calls and store/provide the resulting login token, but each login is distinct. You could if you wanted provide different login accounts for each application if you wanted to apply different permissions. A distinct login counts as a member, this may be an issue with the basic accounts for instance.

Is it possible to sync the directory of a subgroup with another application using the API?

If you mean as in extract the member directory of a subgroup, again yes, this would use the getmemberdirectory API call. Note that exactly what you can do through the API is controlled mainly by the permissions granted to the account you use for the API login, (in this case the "view_member_directory" permission), hence the comment above vis. different per-app accounts. Not all functionality is exposed through the API as yet; the reference docs can be found here: https://groups.io/api

Cheers

Derek


A few basic Qs from a non-programmer #misc

David Mazur-Goulet
 

Hi everyone,

We are looking to connect our groups.io account to another database and we have a few questions from a non-programmer perspective.

Can we have two or three different applications interface with groups.io? Is it technically possible with the API?

Is it possible to sync the directory of a subgroup with another application using the API?

Thanks!
David


Re: How to add a new group member through the API

 

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Robert Stroud <rstroud@...> wrote:
I am working on a new website for my Amateur Radio Club.
Our club has a Groups.io subscription that I believe is a Basic Subscription.
My question is  - is it possible to add a new Club Member to the Club's Groups.io membership list through the API?
If the Basic subscription supports this capability, can you provide a referenced to the location where documentation for this capability can be found?

Basic/Free groups do not support direct add functionality, either through the website or the API.

Cheers,
Mark 


How to add a new group member through the API

Robert Stroud
 

I am working on a new website for my Amateur Radio Club.
Our club has a Groups.io subscription that I believe is a Basic Subscription.
My question is  - is it possible to add a new Club Member to the Club's Groups.io membership list through the API?
If the Basic subscription supports this capability, can you provide a referenced to the location where documentation for this capability can be found?
Thanks for any help you can provide.obert
R


Re: getmemberdirectory from non-member admin

Christopher Schmidt
 

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:33 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
Is there a workaround for this, or is this something I'm doing wrong?
I've only played with the API, so definitely not an expert.  To me, the easiest answer would be to make yourself a member of the subgroup to see if it works then.  If so, then we'll know that the implied ownership of a main group owner/mod isn't (yet?) understood by the API.

It does: as I said: "I can get this list for subgroups I am a member of." And yes, this is what I expect is the case, which is why I'm looking for any useful workarounds :)

-- Chris


Re: getmemberdirectory from non-member admin

Duane
 

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
Is there a workaround for this, or is this something I'm doing wrong?
I've only played with the API, so definitely not an expert.  To me, the easiest answer would be to make yourself a member of the subgroup to see if it works then.  If so, then we'll know that the implied ownership of a main group owner/mod isn't (yet?) understood by the API.

Duane


getmemberdirectory from non-member admin

Christopher Schmidt
 

Hi,

I am an admin of a group. When I attempt to call getmemberdirectory on a subgroup that I'm not a member of, I get an inadequate permissions error. ( {"object":"error","type":"inadequate_permissions","extra":""})

I am able to access the member list via the web UI (https://maingroup.groups.io/g/subgroupname/members). I can get this list for subgroups I am a member of.

Is there a workaround for this, or is this something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chris


Re: addfiles API still in development?

Christopher Warrington
 

On 2021-01-05 8:55 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a timeframe at this point. App development has changed and no longer is relying on the API, so API work has been deprioritized until the app is done.
Cool. Thanks for the info. An explicit "I don't know" is better than the dreaded "Real soon now". 😄

Off-list, someone reminded me of the Upload Folder feature. That may be good enough as well.

--
Christopher Warrington


Re: addfiles API still in development?

Eric di Domenico
 

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 11:55 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
App development has changed and no longer is relying on the API, so API work has been deprioritized until the app is done.
This sucks. I moved a group over to this site from Yahoo hoping to have a better experience and the API was a huge part of that. Being able to build and improve on the experience.

The app has been mentioned for at least 2 years since I got here and it still isn't out. 

I've asked this before, but why don't you open source the backend so the community, interested in interacting with the service more, can help accelerate development?

Honestly, this is a paid service, as a paying customer, I want the API to be a priority, it was one of the features that attracted me to this site.


Re: addfiles API still in development?

 

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9:56 PM Christopher Warrington <lists@...> wrote:
Is there any timeline for when the addfiles API will be ready? I have ~500
files from an old Yahoo Group that I'd like to bulk upload across about 30
folders. I've gotten an uploader tool written, but the API returns 404.

Sorry, I don't have a timeframe at this point. App development has changed and no longer is relying on the API, so API work has been deprioritized until the app is done.

Thanks,
Mark 


Re: addfiles API still in development?

Christopher Warrington
 

Is there any timeline for when the addfiles API will be ready? I have ~500
files from an old Yahoo Group that I'd like to bulk upload across about 30
folders. I've gotten an uploader tool written, but the API returns 404.

I double checked that it wasn't just my tool by running the curl example.
That 404s too.

The target group, rapidq, is a premium group (and a group with legacy
access to Files as well).

(It appears I brush off this bulk upload project about one a year, based on
the most recent message in this thread. 😄)

--
Christopher W. <lists@cw.codes>


Re: Unable to authentication with token

 

Hello,

Have you tried using curl, like:

curl "https://groups.io/api/v1/getuser" \
-u TOKEN:

Where TOKEN is the token (don't forget the colon at the end)?

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Justin Capogna <jcapogna@...> wrote:

I'm using the /login endpoint login with email/password and then I get the token from that. I'm passing that token in a header like "Authorization: Basic <token>" to the /getuser endpoint, but /getuser returns 400 and I get there error "unauthorized_error".

I've been able to successfully use the API with cookies, so I'm confident I have the endpoints right, but I'm trying to do it with tokens instead. 

Do the tokens work for Basic Auth? Am I missing something else?


Unable to authentication with token

Justin Capogna <jcapogna@...>
 

I'm using the /login endpoint login with email/password and then I get the token from that. I'm passing that token in a header like "Authorization: Basic <token>" to the /getuser endpoint, but /getuser returns 400 and I get there error "unauthorized_error".

I've been able to successfully use the API with cookies, so I'm confident I have the endpoints right, but I'm trying to do it with tokens instead. 

Do the tokens work for Basic Auth? Am I missing something else?


Re: direct_add support for sub-groups #api

Srikanth Hanagud
 

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the response. I tested that and it seems to work as expected.

Thanks and Regards
Sri

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 9:39 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:16 AM Srikanth Hanagud <shanagud@...> wrote:
It looks like we currently have a way to direct add members to subgroups but only if the user is not already in the main group. We can use the subgroupIDs to pass the sub-groups the member should be added to.
However, we’d like to be able to direct add to subgroups after a user has been added to the main group and there is no way to do this right now. 
If we try using direct add when the member is already added to the main group, we get a direct_add_existing error.


Re: direct_add support for sub-groups #api

 

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:16 AM Srikanth Hanagud <shanagud@...> wrote:
It looks like we currently have a way to direct add members to subgroups but only if the user is not already in the main group. We can use the subgroupIDs to pass the sub-groups the member should be added to.
However, we’d like to be able to direct add to subgroups after a user has been added to the main group and there is no way to do this right now. 
If we try using direct add when the member is already added to the main group, we get a direct_add_existing error.
_._,_._,_

You can use that API endpoint to add people to subgroups when they already are members of the main group. You'll get an error telling you that the person is a member of the main group, but you can ignore it.

Hope this helps.
Mark


direct_add support for sub-groups #api

Srikanth Hanagud
 

It looks like we currently have a way to direct add members to subgroups but only if the user is not already in the main group. We can use the subgroupIDs to pass the sub-groups the member should be added to.
However, we’d like to be able to direct add to subgroups after a user has been added to the main group and there is no way to do this right now. 
If we try using direct add when the member is already added to the main group, we get a direct_add_existing error.


Re: Planning to start a groups.io group - question about API access

Duane
 

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:55 PM, Monica wrote:
Yes, it may be we don’t need the API if these are already built in.
It sounds like your first stop should be https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual and https://groups.io/helpcenter/gettingstarted  After giving those a good going over, I'd create a group, opting for the Premium trial to test as many things as possible, then grab some 'volunteers' to help figure it out.  At some point, you'll also need to read https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual to see what members can and cannot do.  Many of us create a second, non-mod/owner account to use when members have questions, so we can give them step-by-step help.

Duane


Re: Planning to start a groups.io group - question about API access

Monica
 

RMIT Classification: Trusted

 

Thanks a lot, Duane. It is helpful to know about the “Allow members to download archive” and “export group data” options. Yes, it may be we don’t need the API if these are already built in. (I did go first to https://groups.io/api but didn’t find what I was looking for!)

 

Cheers

Monica

 

 

From: api@beta.groups.io <api@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Duane via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 17 September 2020 10:52 AM
To: api@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [api] Planning to start a groups.io group - question about API access

 

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:38 PM, Monica wrote:

If we set the group discussion to be only visible to group members, then only group members can access this content by the API?

Yes, but I don't think you really need to use the API, especially for regular members.  There's a setting within the group that you can use to "Allow Members To Download Archive."  Owners (and moderators with permission) can export everything related to the group using the "Export Group Data" button on the settings page.  There's not a setting to limit what each member has access to.

Apologies if this is a newbie question: What setting options are available in the software to enact visibility to a closed group?

You, or the person responsible for setting it up, should take a look at the documentation , https://groups.io/api

Duane


Re: Planning to start a groups.io group - question about API access

Duane
 

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 07:38 PM, Monica wrote:

If we set the group discussion to be only visible to group members, then only group members can access this content by the API?

Yes, but I don't think you really need to use the API, especially for regular members.  There's a setting within the group that you can use to "Allow Members To Download Archive."  Owners (and moderators with permission) can export everything related to the group using the "Export Group Data" button on the settings page.  There's not a setting to limit what each member has access to.

Apologies if this is a newbie question: What setting options are available in the software to enact visibility to a closed group?

You, or the person responsible for setting it up, should take a look at the documentation , https://groups.io/api

Duane

1 - 20 of 235