Re: most_recent_message is always 0001-01-01T00:00:00Z

Henning Schulzrinne

Even that doesn't seem quite right, as the group is quite active, i.e., the last message was definitely not sent nearly 2,020 years ago :-)

We need the per-member most-recent-posting data to determine who the active posters are. We want to force active members to configure a signature in their groups.io profile since we require that all messages on our community board (about 1,200 members) are signed with the name and street name of the poster, to prevent semi-anonymous postings - and people tend to forget to do this on their own. (Requiring a full name tends to discourage less-than-civil exchanges, in our experience.) The plan is to reach out to active posters to update their profile, but there's no point in annoying the vast majority of listen-only members. We're also trying to get a handle on how many active members have completed that task, to see if we need to take more aggressive measures, such as putting everyone without a signature on moderation.

Longer term, we also want to enforce a three-posts-a-day limit, again to discourage back-and-forth exchanges between a few list members that tend to get more heated and discourage everyone else. This would likely work best with a webhook.

Thanks for considering!

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:25 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:34 PM Henning Schulzrinne <hgs10@...> wrote:
In getmembers, all member records, including active posters, seem to show a most_recent_message value of 0001-01-01T00:00:00Z. This also seems to be the case in 'member'.

That field is actually supposed to be the most recent message sent to the group overall, not by the member. I admit that's not what someone would think it is, and I need to re-think that field, and if it should be in that object.

Also, is there a way to get a message count, i.e., how many messages somebody has sent?

It's not currently possible to get either the most recent date a person sent a message nor how many messages they've sent via the API. Can you give me some more information? What would you like that information for?