Re: [feature request] Add start_msg_date param to endpoint /downloadarchives

valcos

Thank you Mark for answering.

I don't see the X-Groupsio-MsgNum in the response headers (see them below) or as part of the messages, I'm using the group onap+onap-zoom-hosts to test it. Please let me know if I'm missing something, or if you can point me to a group that uses the X-Groupsio-MsgNum header line.

{
    "Connection": "keep-alive",
    "Content-Disposition": "attachment; filename=\"messages.zip\"",
    "Content-Type": "application/octet-stream",
    "Date": "Tue, 21 Jan 2020 11:30:39 GMT",
    "Server": "nginx/1.17.6",
    "Set-Cookie": "groupsio=MTU3O...aClXhs=; Path=/; Domain=groups.io; Expires=Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:30:39 GMT; Max-Age=2592000; HttpOnly; Secure",
    "Transfer-Encoding": "chunked",
    "X-Frame-Options": "DENY"

}

The main reason to ask for a start_msg_date is because the way I collect mailing list data is time-based (it leverages on the field `Date` of the emails). Since the information is already included in each email, it isn't needed to add any extra information (e.g., response headers or additional headers in the original emails) to perform incremental fetching.

I would say that start_msg_date and start_msg_num are equivalent in terms of guaranteeing to fetch all messages, however I understand that the offset-based solution performs better for corner cases when there are N messages sent out at the same date for a given group. From a user point of view, I think it makes more sense to get all messages after a given date, since the user doesn't probably know the start_msg_num.

In any case, it would be great if you can include the start_msg_date. If this isn't possible, I'll figure out how to use the start_msg_num in my scenario.

Best,
Valerio